10th September , 2019
2p.m. – 4.30p.m.
Eligible to attend:
Health Care Professionals
This session is aimed at healthcare professionals caring for individuals with a central venous catheter (CVC). The session focuses on the knowledge and skills required to care for individuals with a CVC. It is recommended attendees have completed a recent (within 6 months) Intravenous Therapy study day prior to attending this session.
The following key components will be addressed;
- Definition of Central Venous Access Catheters:
- Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter (PICC line)
- Skin –Tunnelled Catheter (Hickman line)
Main principles in the care & management of a CVC;
- Skin care and dressing management criteria
- Flushing principles
- Infection control procedures
- Preventive measures to ensure the safe and efficient use of central venous catheters
- Practical demonstration and equipment used
2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) sought from An Bord Altranais Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (The Nurse and Midwifery Board of Ireland)