08th May 2020
16th October 2020
8.30a.m. – 4.30p.m.
Eligible to attend:
Clinical Nurse Specialists, Public Health Nurses, Nurses, and Dietitians.
This course aims to educate and support Clinical Nurse Specialists, Public Health Nurses, Nurses, and Dietitians regarding key issues related to the management of gastrostomy tubes and to enable staff to replace gastrostomy tubes when safe and appropriate to do so.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be:
- Able to identify key issues in relation to scope of practice in the management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes.
- Familiar with the different types of gastrostomy tubes available
- Have knowledge on best and safe practice in management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes using evidence based practice guidelines
- Understand infection control principles in the management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes
- Able to care for the tubes and check the tubes position
- Able to administer medication via the feeding tube
- Understand the care and management of the potential complications in the management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes
- Able to demonstrate their skills in the management and replacement of gastrostomy tubes on a training mannequin
Please ensure that you can complete your competency requirement in a clinical setting following the clinical skill study day.
7 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) approved by An Bord Altranais Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (The Nurse and Midwifery Board of Ireland) and CPD approval from the Irish Nutrition and Dietetics Institute.