19th February 2020
4th November 2020
9.30 – 12.30p.m.
Eligible to attend:
Participants who are interested in learning to use Cinahl and PubMed.
The aim of this 3 hour workshop is to enable participants to use different features of Cinahl and PubMed when searching and to enhance their ability to find information more effectively.
CINAHL® provides indexing for 2,928 journals from the fields of nursing and allied health. CINAHL covers nursing, biomedicine, health sciences librarianship, alternative/complementary medicine, consumer health and 17 allied health disciplines.
PubMed is the U.S. National Library of Medicine’s search system for health information. It covers the fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, pharmacy and other areas in the life sciences and includes citations dating back to the 1950’s. Finding evidence which informs and supports decision-making in clinical practice is an important skill when caring for patients and their families.
This course is designed for health care practitioners, students and academics that are keen to develop their search skills to assist them with further study, research and to find evidence to inform and support clinical practice.
Main topics which will be discussed:
Key principles and practical workshop in carrying out a search
After attending these courses, participants will be able to:
- Understand the key principles in carrying out a search such as how to plan a literature search and to identify appropriate keywords
- Ability to search using keywords and thesaurus subjects and to understand the difference between them
- Understand how to limit and broaden results when necessary
- Learn how to search using authors, journal names and how to use the citation matcher
- Ability to modify your search, set up a saved search and an alert
4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) approved by An Bord Altranais Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (The Nurse and Midwifery Board of Ireland).