We aim to provide a supportive and welcoming place for you to come and stay with us for a day.
The Specialist Palliative Care Day Unit aims to improve the quality of life of people diagnosed with a life limiting and progressive illness.
Members of our multi-disciplinary team meet with each person to assess their needs so that a planned programme of support can be offered through a range of therapeutic and rehabilitative services aimed at meeting specific goals.
Following assessment, each person attends on day a week for an 8 week cycle to engage with specific courses of therapy.
The Day Unit complements the care provided by your GP and Public Health Nurse and works in close collaboration with the Specialist In-patient Unit and Hospice at Home team.
Services available include:
- Occupational Therapy
- Complementary Therapies
- Social Work Services
- Therapeutic Horticulture
- Art Therapy & Facilitation
- Music Therapy
- Pastoral Care and Spiritual Support
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Specialist Palliative Care Nursing
- Medical Review (if required)
We liaise, where appropriate, with the Primary Health Care teams and with other professionals and agencies to provide continuity of care and support for patients and families.
Who can attend?
People who are living in the Mid-West Region, who have been diagnosed with a progressive and life limiting illness (such as Cancer, MND, COPD or Heart Failure), and who could benefit from an 8 week cycle of Specialist Palliative Care.
Where possible we ask you to provide your own transport; however if required there is a dedicated bus service available for people living within a 6 mile radius.
How to refer to the Specialist Palliative Care Services
- Referrals from Hospital Consultants or General Practitioners may be made by completing the National Specialist Palliative Care referral form. You can also find the form by clicking the Make a Referral option on the Top Menu of this Site. In addition, a formal referral letter may be sent to one of the Consultants in Palliative Medicine.
- Referrals can also be made by a member of the Milford Specialist Palliative Care team.
For more information
If you have any questions please see the Frequently Asked Questions and hopefully you will find the answers there.
If not please call us: 061-201765 or 061-201764. Fax: 061-330142. Email: email@example.com